Originally called Hickory Town, the city was renamed after the English city of Lancaster by native John Wright. Its symbol, the red rose, is from the House of Lancaster. Lancaster was part of the 1681 Penn’s Woods Charter of William Penn, and was laid out by James Hamilton in 1734. It was incorporated as a borough in 1742 and incorporated as a city in 1818. During the American Revolution, it was briefly the capital of the colonies on September 27, 1777, when the Continental Congress fled Philadelphia, which had been captured by the British. After meeting one day, they moved still farther away, to York, Pennsylvania. On October 13, 2011, Lancaster’s City Council officially recognized September 27 as Capital Day, a holiday recognizing Lancaster’s time as capital of the nation. Lancaster was capital of Pennsylvania from 1799 to 1812, after which the capital was moved to Harrisburg.